Thursday, October 20, 2016

Buzzard Restoration

Unflat tires, new crank set, different front derailleur = Ready!
Now for something completely different! I haven't been messing much with any of my mountain bikes for quite some time. I've just been way too busy getting ready for gravel road events or testing something for RidingGravel.com. My mountain bikes have fallen into a state of disrepair over the last year or so.

The Singular Buzzard was particularly hard hit in that regard. I had it all set up, ready to go, last Fall, but I didn't really get the chance to ride it. Well, actually, the one time I wanted to ride it I didn't in deference to my friend who was on a single speed fat bike and I decided to suffer similarly on my Blackborow DS. Anyway, the end result was that the Buzzard lost all its air, the sealant dried up, and it was Winter. Then I got busy with the gravel stuff. Then I went one step further backward......

I dismantled the Buzzard to a degree! 

A different friend was having issues with a crank and front derailleur, so I helped him out by pilfering my lightly used SLX stuff which got him out of a pickle and back riding again. Good news for him. Bad news for me and the Buzzard. Usually once I start pilfering a build its dead meat. I'm like a vulture and I pick it apart till nothing is left but the skeleton. This time, I didn't let that happen, although the thought had crossed my mind a few times!

I picked up a brand new SLX crank set, used an old X-7 high direct mount derailleur, and recharged the tires with fresh sealant. Boom! Back in business again. I also took the opportunity to switch pedals. I took the Shimano trail SPD's off and put on some Fixation Mesa MP's, which are flat pedals that I happen to think are really good. Two reasons for this move- The first is that I don't have to use specific cycling shoes with this bike anymore and the other is that I feel flats suit the build better than clipless pedals do.

Now I just have to hit the dirt!

2 comments:

Phillip Cowan said...

I've been riding flats all season. Actually I'm finding it harder and harder to justify why my feet need to be attached to the pedals. From the best I can tell no one's pulling up on the back stroke anyway so why the need for attachment? I think that many people are reluctant to try flats because they're afraid they'll be getting the fish-eye from the equipment snobs on the next Sunday morning club ride. For me personally riding flats were just the ticket for cleaning up a lazy spin. Also being able to slide my foot forward so that my arch is over the axle helps when I really need to stomp hard on the pedals (singlespeed downshift).

Guitar Ted said...

@phillip Cowan: There are a lot of research articles claiming flats actually work better than clipless pedals for cycling efficiency. Interesting to see that may be the case. However, I didn't base my choice on those reasons, but it is nice to know I may be okay in terms of efficiency over clipless.

I actually did the Fat Bike Century recently on flats and using Nike street shoes just to prove to myself that I didn't necessarily need that extra gear to do something like that.